- Rider Info
- Public Involvement
- Photo and Video
How to Ride
Streetcar Schedule and Arrival Times
- Each stop has a schedule posted with approximate travel times.
- The Streetcar Arrival Time is posted at most stops on real-time electronic signs, on the web page, and on TriMet's Transit Tracker hotline.
- Arrival times are based on a GPS tracking system, which indicates the arrival time of the next one or two streetcars at the platform stop you select.
Getting on and off the Streetcar
- The Streetcar does NOT stop at every stop automatically. You MUST signal the operator by pushing the vertical or horizontal yellow strip on the high floor section of the car, or push the buttons on the door prior to the platform you are requesting.
- The Streetcar will stop for passengers only at stop platforms.
- Streetcars have low floors for easy boarding of wheelchairs. The operator watches platforms for passengers using mobility devices and deploys an automated ramp as needed. When on-board the streetcar, a ramp request button may be pushed prior to the next stop.
- Streetcars are air-conditioned.
- Bicycles & segways are allowed on Streetcar in the low-floor section only.
- Guide dogs and companion animals are allowed on leash only -- see Service Animals section, below.
Travelling with a Large Group
If you're bringing a large group on board (15 or more), be sure to contact us to schedule your trip in advance. Click here for more information
Service Animals (Guide Dogs & Companion Animals)
Service animals (only guide dogs and companion animals) are welcome on the Portland Streetcar. You are responsible for the care and supervision of your animal while on board.
If you are planning on riding Streetcar with a service animal, please follow these guidelines:
- The animal must be on a leash or in a container, remain under your control and behave appropriately.
- Birds, reptiles, amphibians and rodents must be kept in an enclosed carrier/container.
- The animal must remain at your feet or on your lap. The animal may not sit on a vehicle seat.
- The animal must not be aggressive toward people or other animals.
- You are responsible for any damage or soiling caused by the animal.
Thank you for your cooperation! If you have any questions about service animals on the Streetcar, please call us at 503-823-2900.
Bringing a stroller on Streetcar
- You are welcome to bring a stroller on the streetcar, but keep in mind there may not always be room on board. If you do bring a stroller, we recommend using a folding "umbrella" style stroller. Large and double-wide strollers are not practical for use on Streetcar.
- You may use a seat in the priority seating area by the door, as long as it is not occupied or needed by a senior citizen or a rider with a disability. Look for the "Priority seating area" sign.
- We ask that you keep your stroller in the low–floor section of the streetcar. This is important for the safety of your child and your fellow riders.
- Please make sure your stroller is not blocking the aisle or door.
No person shall bring or carry aboard a Portland Streetcar any package or article of a size which will block any aisle, doorway or stairway on the vehicle.
Paying your fare
- Fares for the Streetcar are the same as TriMet and Streetcar accepts ALL valid TriMet fares. See the Fares page for full info.
- Purchase your ticket using the farebox machine on-board the streetcar.
- Fareboxes on the Streetcars accept coin and $1 and $5 dollar bills, including $1 coins.
- Yellow validator boxes are located in the car to validate pre-purchased TriMet tickets.
How to use the Streetcar Farebox
- Push fare-type button to make a selection.
- Place coins in the coin cup at upper right (dollar coins accepted).
- Place $1 & $5 dollar bills in the bill box. Note that the farebox will not take bills if not enough change is available.
- Keep your ticket and have it available to show personnel if asked.
Click here for complete info regarding streetcar accessibility.
Rider Safety Tips
- Please report any suspicious items or activity to the Streetcar Operator.
- Use hand straps & bars to secure a safe ride.
- Sitting or standing in the stairwell is discouraged.
Automobile, Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Tips
- Do not cross the street in front of a Streetcar, even if the Streetcar is stopped.
- Follow the Streetcar at a safe distance.
- Do not make a turn from the adjacent lane or center lane in front of the Streetcar.
- Streetcars run in the same travel lane as cars – keep alert.
- Park your vehicle or truck within the solid white line.
- Check for approaching Streetcar when opening vehicle doors.
- Double-parking is illegal.
- Bicyclists need to be EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS when cycling near Streetcar tracks.